Aljezur is located along the
western coast of the Algarve, within the
Soutwest Alentejo and St. Vincent Coast Nature
Park: this region, mixes landscapes, clifftop
landscapes and sea fronts.
From the north to south, from Odeceixe to
Carrapateira, the municipality is a mixture of
archaeological vestiges of elevated interest,
museums, windmills, cultural landscapes,
histo-cultural circuits and recreational trails
and bike trails.
The coast is carved by nature, with a coast of
40 kilometres (25 mi) marked by beaches
from Odeceixe, to Amado, known for its surfing
All of Aljezur was gravely damaged by the 1755
Bishop Francisco Gomes de Avelar ordered the
construction of the Church of Nossa Senhora de
Alva in the edge of the town, in order to form a
new population center.